Thursday, July 24, 2008

Guangzhou - Shamian Island

We spent our day today walking around the island...getting a feel for where we are. I love the architecture of all the buildings here...it looks alot like Savannah Georgia. There are "squares" through the center of the island with fountains, a playground, bronze statues and lovely plantings.




These are just some of the sights we saw walking today.



A sweet Church with beautiful singing coming from inside


I just had to have a picture of Toby standing in front of this very tiny door :)

And...a summer day is never complete without shaken lemon tea!

Walking around the island we are not being approached to buy much because we don't have a little Chinese girl with us...we have been asked if we are here for adoption though...I am sure they will see us coming a mile away when we return in a week.

Tomorrow morning we leave for Changsha...2 more days until we get our girl!!

22 comments:

maxgalactictours said...

You are right. You cannot start a trip without a starbucks. Really cool photos. Red everywhere, the lucky color.

My dad's friend is currently in South Korea right now. He also has a blog as well. The pictures are very similar

www.jerrysjourneys.blogspot.com

Forever in my heart said...

Dawn and Toby, you look great! the pictures are beautiful. What a wonderful experience for you.
NOW GO GET OUR LUCY...
Be safe. I miss you so much. I pray that Lucy's Gottcha day will be the best ever and she will love you the minute she sees you.
I knew I loved her but never realized how much until now. This is killing me. I guess I know how you have felt all these months. My daughter is bringing home her daughter. You so need this little girl.
I love All of you very much.
Mom

Joanne said...

Oh you both look so very happy :) Love the pictures ~ I can just "feel" myself back there ~ what wonderful memories :)

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

glad you found a Starbucks... keep you going... hehehe... have a safe trip and love the photos... it is like I am there...

Erin said...

You two look so great! I am so excited. We stayed in Changsha at the Dolton too... Changsha is a very busy place! The words of your mom made me cry, Dawn... and I am assuming that the photo is of your brother. I am sure that he is with you, and watching over Lucy (and your boys at home)! Be sure and tell your sons to take pictures of their time waiting... it is fun to have.

Jill said...

I am SO excited for you!!! I can't wait to see pictures of Miss Lucy in your arms. You look so happy and super cute~as always. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Pictures are outstanding...boys and I are waiting for each instalment! next group will have you and Lucy together!!!! Boys and I can't wait! We promise to have house picked up by time you return! We miss you and wonder what fun things you are doing as you bide your time until you can hold Lucy....keep info coming! '
Love Pop.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are amazing and you guys look so happy! Wow! I can't wait to see pictures of you all with Lucy!! :)I still can't believe you are there!

k1 said...

Hope you found Peter's okay.... it's pretty much right across the park from the Starbucks.

Looks like you have perfect weather.

Safe travels to Changsha.

Colleen said...

I'm SO HAPPY for you!! You two look like very happy parents!! I keep checking in just waiting to see LUCY!!!
Your Mom's comment is the sweetest! I got so choked up reading it!
Many blessings!

jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! I just can't wait to see you with Lucy!!! I am so excited for you.

You look adorable, by the way!!

(Your mom's comments are so sweet. Makes me cry)

Lori said...

Dawn, you two look great and so happy~ the smiles say it all! :)
Enjoy your time, only two little days away!!!

Steffie B. said...

I'm so happy for you....can't wait to see precious Lucy in your arms! ;)

Christy said...

I CANNOT BE ANYMORE EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS. I KEEP CHECKING THE BLOG TO SEE IF YOU HAVE HER YET-- IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THE DOLTON IN CHUNGSHA-- IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!! EAT AT FOOD STREET-- AWESOME CHINESE FOOD AND IT IS OPEN 24 HOURS A DAY. NEXT DOOR TO THE DOLTON IS A BUILDING AND INSIDE IS A MASSAGE PLACE THAT HAS BLIND PEOPLE DOING THE MASSAGES-- IT IS THE BEST 2 HOUR MASSAGE I EVER HAD AND IT WAS ONLY $5 USD PER HOUR. YOU MUST HAVE ONE WHILE YOU ARE THERE!!

I JUST CANT WAIT TO SEE LITTLE LUCY WITH HER MAMA AND DADA. MY HEART IS JUST SWELLING AND I ALREADY FEEL THE LUMP IN MY THROUGHT. kEEP US POSTED AND I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS AND LUCY IN MY PRAYERS.

CHRISTY :)

Jill said...

WOW!!! I just found your blog, and am SO EXCITED to see you are about to meet your daughter Lucy!! It gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes!! I will be checking back daily!!
Mark, Jill & Lucy
P.S. make sure to get a pic of her with the Lucy sign from the resteraunt!

Leslie said...

It is so heartwarming to see you actually in China! Isn't it beautiful! Hot but beautiful! I just got home from my trip so my internet is speedy! 2 more days!! Yippee!

Denise said...

Oh, I can't wait to see her!
The anticipation is killin me!!

Can you believe it that you are actually in China...I had to pinch myself a few times.

Enjoy every precious moment~

Heather said...

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO! Love the pics - and I am NOT a starbucks girl, but a shaken lemon tea sounds simply wonderful! Think I may stop in tomorrow to try one:)

You both look great and ready for these two days to fly by!

Thinking of you...praying...
Love,
Heather

Truly Blessed said...

I'm at the cottage (no internet) and my sweet husband took pity on me and found a way to get dial up (excruciatingly slow, but it works!) just so I could see your sweet Lucy meet her Mama & Daddy!

Only a few more days...can't wait!

ciongoligirls said...

Yeah for Miss Lucy!!! and yay for you guys! I am soooo happy and so proud for what you are doing! i cannot wait to meet her!!! we think of her all of the time! we miss you guys so much and cannot wait to meet our niece/cousin! love you love you love you!!!! bring that beautiful little china doll home already! can't wait! we love her so much already!!!!!! and here is makenna riley...i cant wait to see you...love, makenna riley (your cousin)

Cheri said...

Oh it all brings back memories! I can't wait to see you both with Lucy. I hope your enjoying your trip so far!

Anonymous said...

From Pop...it is a little over an hour before your lives change forever!!! It will be 6:30 PM our time Sunday night...the boys and I are doing super and miss you three..surprise, ALL our lives will change forever!!!

Love Pop, Powell, Blake and Bennett.